Sikkim is a very beautiful and tiny state with lot to explore. Here is your guide to Gangtok and near by locations worth a visit.
Day sight seeing
- Tashi View Point
- Hanuman Tok
- Ganesh Tok
- Bakthang falls
- Flower Show
- Namnang view point
- Do Drul Chorten Stupa
- Namgyal Institute of Tibetology
- Banjhankri Falls
- Ranka Monastery
- Rumtek Monastery (a separate day required for Rumtek Monastery trip)
Important routes near Gangtok
- Tsomgo (Changu) Lake - Tsomgo Lake is located in the north eastern part of Sikkim. It is situated 38 km away from Gangtok on the Gangtok–Nathula highway .Tsomgo Lake (12,400 ft. / 3780 m), this is one of the highest altitude Himalayan Lake. Most beautiful this oval shape lake almost 1 km long with its average depth 50 ft and situated in east Sikkim Himalaya.
- Baba Mandir – Built by Indian army in the honor of Captain "Baba" Harbhajan Singh (August 3, 1941 – October 4, 1968). Baba Harbajan Singh Memorial is considered sacred by locals and tourist alike.
- Nathu La Pass - It is one of the highest drive roads in the world and mountain pass in the Himalayan peaks that co-joins Sikkim and China. Nathula pass is 18 Km from Tsomgo Lake. Nathula pass remains open only to Indian nationals on all week days except Monday and Tuesday. A Restricted area permit is required to visit Nathula Pass, this permit can be easily arranged by any authorized “Sikkim Tourism” agent. You need to submit one ID proof (driving license, passport, family ration card, voter id) and two passport size photograph of each person. Tsomgo Lake, Baba Mandir and Nathu La Pass can be covered in a single day.
- Siddhesvara Dham (Char Dham) - Sikkim has created history by bringing the four Dhams under one roof at Solophok, Namchi, South Sikkim. The four most revered Dhams of the Hindus - Jagannath, Dwarika, Rameshawaram, Badrinath has been replicated in this fantastic complex to benefit the devotees who will visit this place. This pilgrim centre also has 108ft tall statue of Lord Shiva and replicas of twelve jyotirlingas.
- Samdruptse - A 135 ft unique statue of Guru Padmasambhava is installed at the top of Samdruptse. His Holiness The Dalai Lama laid the foundation stone of the statue on 22.10.1997. Is is said to be the highest statue of Guru Padmasambhava in the world. Siddhesvara Dham and Samdruptse can be covered in a single day.
Places to visit in North Sikkim Based from Gangtok
- Lachung - It is a Tibetan village situated about 110 kms from Gangtok with scenic drive. Overnight stay at Lachung is necessary to visit Yumthang and surrounding areas. Hot water spring, Yumesamdong and katao can be visited from Lachung. The road from Gangtok has rhododendron lined along the way.
- Yumthang Valley - This valley is situated at an altitude of 3596 meters i.e. 11,800 feet and about 25 kilometers from Lachung. Though Yumthang is located on a flat valley the surrounding mountains seem to touch the heavens. Yumesamdong is an hour drive beyond Yumthang.
- Lachen - It is situated 29 kilometers from Chungthang. One has to stay at Lachen to visit Gurudongmar Lake. It is situated on an alpine meadow from which rise the pine clad mountains with their snowy peaks. One has to stay at Lachen to visit Gurudongmar Lake and Chopta Valley. The time to visit is in March to May, when the rhododendrons are in full bloom.
- Gurudongmar Lake - This Lake is situated at a height of 5212 meters i.e. 17100 feet. The time to visit is in March to May, when the rhododendrons are in full bloom and the lake partly frozen. It is a sacred lake of the state visited by the Buddhists and the Hindus. The water remains milky in color and is the source of river Lachen Chu.
Tour Programme for North Sikkim
Option 01: 01 nights / 02 days: Gangtok- Lachung- Yumthang – Lachung –Gangtok
Option 02: 02 nights / 03 Days: Gangtok- Lachen- Gurudongmer Lake- Lachen -Lachung- Yumthang – Lachung –Gangtok
An additional day for rest recommended in Gangtok after tiring trip to North Sikkim.
Sikkim is a beautiful place. Please be a responsible traveller and keep it clean.
Wish you a great holiday!